vendredi 9 octobre 2026

Thursday's Bread Rolls

 I baked a lot of bread last Winter but had stopped since. Based on the knowledge I developped then I sketched this recipe that worked well and is simple, so as a notebook, I'll use my Blog to make sure I don't lose it, and share it also.


I use a (Vintage) bread machine to mix the dough, I let it rise once, then cut short the 2nd kneeding (it's too long, 8-12 minutes is enough for a 2nd kneed) by simply unplugging the machine and letting the dough rise in the machine for like 45 minutes, then I drop the dough on the floured working place and shape the 7-8 buns and then let them rise on parchement paper in a cookie sheet on top of the oven that I turn on at 375 shortly after so that a little bit of heat comes out on top and help the buns rise, about 50 minutes, then switch it inside the oven for a 22 minutes bake (190-209 F inside); note that my oven doesn't let much heat out, if you have an older appliance, it could be too much heat for a good rise. I called it Thursday's Rolls since I started baking again on a Thursday a couple weeks ago.

So they are soft bread, excellent for sub rolls; I freeze them as soon as they are fully cooled down as they don't keep fresh long; I unthaw 2 for the next day and keep the other ones frozen in ziplocs. Of course a bread machine or mixer is not needed, this is easy to kneed by hand.


 Thursday's Bread Rolls

165ml            milk                      165gr
+
165ml            water                    165gr
warm
or

330ml             warm Water          330gr
1 ½ TBSP        Veg. Oil                18-19gr
¼ Cup,65ml    Yogourt                 68gr
½ tsp              Salt                      4gr
5 tsp              Sugar                    20gr
535gr of flour, that is:
4 ½ Cup         American flour       535gr
or
3 ½ Cup         Canadian flour       535gr
1 TBSP           Gluten                   10gr
2 tsp              Quick Yeast            7gr

Yes, the difference between American and Canadian flour is important (125gr vs 150gr for one Cup), but it's always better to simply use a scale, especially for bread.
Bake about 22 minutes at 370, baked rolls should read 190-200 F but usually at 22 minutes, it quickly rises to 209 F which is ok but apparently are overdone at that temp and start to dry out (AI says that but idk...)

Flours can be split like this (which I do)

70gr WW
30gr Kamut
435gr White

or any mix, if more white, dough will be a little bit more wet but at shaping some flour is added to handle them.

makes about  7 X 120 gr Buns 
or 8 X 100

raw dough

8 X 124gr dough = 8 X 113gr rolls
7 X 142gr dough = 7 X 130gr rolls

for sub rolls
5 X 196gr dough = 5 X 180gr rolls
or larger buns divide the dough in 4

Dominique Rock

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire